Associate Scientific Services Specialist
Boston, MA 02163 US
Title: Associate Scientific Services Specialist
Hiring Organization: Connexion Systems & Engineering
Compensation, Benefits, and Employment Type
- Duration: 9+ month contract
- Pay rate: $27-$31.46/hr
- Job Location: Boston, MA
- Schedule: M-F, standard 1st shift hours
- Job#: bh16224
We are looking for a highly motivated Flow Cytometer Core Associate Scientific Specialist to provide critical, on-site, scientific and operational support as part of a dynamic lab service team. The role is mainly responsible for supporting Flow Cytometry and FACS equipment and scientists’ operators as requested by our pharmaceutical customer. Other general lab responsibilities will also be required, all of which require a high level of attention to detail to provide a quality service.
- The ability to multitask and work with a variety of investigators in a multidisciplinary team setting
- Experience and aptitude in working in a core laboratory environment with moderate supervision
- Proactively identify instrument and reagent issues
- Perform flow cytometry cell sorting
- Perform routine fluorescence compensation procedure as directed by management.
- Responds to queries, communications, and workflows with flow labs to ensure consistency and timely resolution
- Understand common biological applications, cell handling techniques, and reagents used by researchers and assist them in sample prep or common instrument issues as requested by management.
- Become familiar with all software used in the facility such as Benchling and assist facility users in learning to use this software
- Perform general and routine on FACS equipment maintenance, timely instrument start-up/shutdown, QC/QA of cytometers following documented Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) and generate new SOPs if necessary
- Identifies and leads efforts related to equipment troubleshooting and fixing routine FACS equipment issues.
- Keeping track of & ordering of basic supplies, helping to coordinate service visits by technicians (contacting / scheduling non-routine instrument maintenance and repair).
- Assist with scheduling & calendar management, operation of cytometers & sorters on behalf of users
- Identifies and leads efforts related to troubleshooting and process improvements to increase data quality, lower costs, or reduce turnaround times
- Supports management in daily workload completion and review process
- Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities of this job at any time
- Comprehensive understanding of how the flow cytometer and FACS instruments work.
- Attention to detail and understanding of the basic laboratory environment
- Excellent organizational skills; ability to troubleshoot and solve problems independently
- Ability to follow oral and written directions
- Demonstrates appropriate use of relevant equipment after training
- Ability to work independently
- BA/BS degree in physical or biological science or a related science and 2 or more years of recent, directly related work experience or Associate’s Degree in life science or other relevant discipline and 5 years' flow cytometry experience in a laboratory environment or High School Degree/GED with 10 years' flow cytometry experience in a laboratory environment.
- Basic experience with MS Office: Excel, Word, Outlook, and PowerPoint
- Experience with training & teaching others
- A highly qualified candidate will have experience with one or more of the following instrumentation systems: Sony SH800 FACS, BD FACSAria, BD Symphony, Cytek Aurora, ACEA Novocyte
- Must be able to remain in a stationary position more than 25% of the time
- The person needs to occasionally move between labs, corridors, adjoining rooms, and buildings onsite
- Frequently use tools, which will require regularly bending, squatting, stretching and reaching in order to perform in a service function.
- Occasionally move or lift up to 25 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this position include without limitation, the ability to observe details at close range (within a few feet of the instrument/equipment), distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus in order to perform the essential service functions of this position.
- Occasionally operates a computer and other office machinery, such as a calculator, copy machine, and computer printer
- Use of personal protective equipment (e.g., lab coat, safety glasses, etc.) in laboratory.
- Job pace may be fast and job completion demands may be high.
- Employee may be required to handle hazardous waste according to local, state, and federal regulations.
Please use the apply button to submit your resume for consideration. A Connexion Representative will contact you shortly.
You may also send your resume and cover letter via email to the recruiter listed below. You MUST include the Job# and Job Title in your subject line.
If you are active in a job search but this job is not for you, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org. We would be glad to help you find the perfect job!