Protein Expression Process Engineer (PERM)
Etna, NH 03766 US
Connexion’s mission is to provide "best in class" services to job seekers. We strive to achieve excellence in job placement, staffing, and recruiting services while treating candidates with the professionalism and respect they deserve.
Title: Protein Expression Process Engineer
Hiring Organization: Connexion Systems & Engineering
- Duration: PERM
- Pay rate: $150-165K
- Job Location: Etna, MA
- Job# 14934
About This Position
The Protein Expression Process Engineer will lead a growing team produces recombinant ligands that are components of Avitide’s AVIPure affinity resins used for the production of biopharmaceuticals. This work will span both upstream (fermentation) and downstream (purification) process development and scale-up. The candidate will be the primary technical expert providing technical leadership, troubleshooting support and guidance through process transfer. A key aspect is liaising with both external CDMOs and global production sites for efficient technology transfer to enable larger-scale production. It requires a creative individual who can work hands-on as part of a dynamic and integrated team, including overseeing a growing team of engineers. Avalide seeks candidates who are highly self-motivated and can work in a collaborative fashion with other interdisciplinary team members in a fast-paced and exciting work environment.
- Optimize strain selection, media, growth, culture time, and induction conditions for protein expression in bacterial expression systems (E. coli)
- Scale-up fermentation to 10-100L bioreactor and confirm process robustness
- Transfer fermentation to sister sites or CDMO for scale-up manufacturing (500 L to 2000 L).
- Develop scalable and efficient recovery, purification & formulation processes to maintain yield, purity, stability & activity.
- Transfer process internally or to CDMO for scale-up manufacturing
- Produce ligand to support product launch as well as custom product business
- Write and review development reports, transfer documents and other documentation associated with product development and transfer to manufacturing (internal & CDMO)
- Act as the subject matter expert within the cross-functional product development team. Advise discovery team on expression and purification strategies.
- Manage fermentation and chromatography personnel and assign daily activities.
- Provide technical support for current activities to junior personnel
- Ensure optimal supply of reagents and chemicals to support uninterrupted activities
- Ensure maintenance of fermentation and purification equipment to support activities
- Education and Experience:
- Master's or PhD. in Bioengineering or Chemical Engineering or equivalent with 5+ years’ experience in a biopharmaceutical environment
- Extensive experience with protein expression in E. coli. Hands-on experience with shake flasks, DASGIP, 10-20 L bioreactors a must
- Strong experience with the development of purification procedures for recombinant proteins
- Experience with process transfer from R&D to manufacturing a plus
- Strong knowledge of MS Office, Minitab (or JMP)
- Sig Sigma black belt with DOE experience a plus
- Excellent communication skills and ability to thrive in an agile, team-oriented environment
- Ability to provide evening, nighttime, and weekend support if necessary
Avitide Cultural Qualities
- Demonstrate creativity and innovation
Please use the apply button to submit your resume for consideration. A Connexion Representative will contact you immediately.
When responding to this job posting you MUST include the Job# and Job Title in your subject line.
If you are active in a job search but this job is not for you, please reach out to . We would be glad to help you find the perfect job!